At last we were able to walk out of the condo!!!
Not a very pleasant experience due the amount of detritus lying around, but it was great to see the water virtually gone.
It's a difficult situation as the boat can no longer take us out, so we had to walk through a thick glutinous slurry. Yuk!!!
John put his foot in a black mass which was very unpleasant, necessitating a walk in the remaining water to try to wash the worst of it off.
Walking back with our shopping we felt like we were traversing through a war zone.
Not to let you all down, I decided some photos were needed of the aftermath. Ed's note: Some poor person didn't move their car in time. I wonder if it will be scrapped? I can only imagine what the inetrior must be like.
I picked up my camera and went back out to take the shots.
This time I asked the guards if I could borrow their wellies as some of the water was still about 20cm deep. Ed's note: We have watched with interest, our roving correspondent's attire in these blogs. I must say, this is the most fetching by far. Er, did John make you keep those boots on indoors?! Also, I know I shouldn't say this but...are you sure the guards didn't have athletes foot or fungus? I'm only saying that because of the damp situations their feet would have been in!!!
The photos illustrate the devastating effect the water has done to our little area of Bangkok.
The small parks are now a wasteland and the pavements are in ruins with many of the slabs having been lifted by the water. Ed's note: Given the state of BKK's pavements usually, I am surprised you could tell the difference!
Even the beautiful trees have been uprooted in a number of places.Hopefully, in a few days taxis will be able to get to the condo, and our access to the outside world will once again be nothing to get excited about. Having said that however, our first walk down the condo soi this morning was truly thrilling!!!!
Well it looks as though there is a lot of cleaning up to do over by Sue. Thankfully both Sue and Margie have come through the ordeal, Sue with a smile and Margie with a Gin and Tonic! Okay, I made that last bit up, but you can just see Margie looking over the balcony with a glass in hand, muttering about the smell, can't you!
Sue, You have been a fantastic roving reporter
ReplyDeletefor the Blog. An emmy (U.S. TV award) will be coming your way shortly for your front line coverage.
You have truly been through the worst of it,and that you have been able to keep a smile on your face says a lot. What an experience. Janice