As usual your trusty girl (ok, old bat) reporter was out at the crack of dawn (well 7am) to check out the situation with the protests.
The camp was still being set up when I arrived and they were still allowing a certain flow of traffic as I think the shut down comes into full effect at 9am. This is taken at the crossroads at Asoke, where a stage has been set up. They have only had the loudspeaker going for a few hours and it is already getting on my nerves!
This protester clearly knows he is on for a long wait.
Sukhumvit MRT, near Siam Society. These men were doing a roll call. I suppose they are marshals.
This journalist raised much interest from the crowd as he set up his equipment.
He has one of those spy cams on a flying saucer thing. He was trying to get it to fly, not with much luck when I watched him. Hum, maybe I should ask for one of those for my next birthday!
The view from the middle of the junction, looking down towards the Queen Sirikit Centre. The road was closed to traffic coming up to Sukhumvit, but the traffic flowing along Sukhumvit towards Asoke was being redirected down it.
The section of Sukhumvit from the crossroads to the Sheraton is closed off completely and a camp area is being set up. The same along the road leading up to Petchaburi, to at least as far as the Millenium hotel, where they were erecting a giant tent structure over the road.
Blankets were being handed out.
Only a few tents have been set up so far at Asoke, along Sukhumvit (opposite Terminal 21) and leading up to Petchaburi.
Sukhumvit looking towards Asoke crossroads.
Oh dear, the protest has barely started and already the one toilet bus in evidence, has a long line of women. It makes me wonder what will happen if they open Terminal 21, Times Square and Robinsons. All those toilets are going to be overwhelmed with protestors.
Well, that was the scene by us first thing this morning. I shall pop out later to see how things have progressed.
It is all flashing back!! I got on the online news this morning and the streets were packed and looking as if they
ReplyDeletehad succeeded in shutting the entire downtown area down. From your photos it also looks as if they are hunkering down for the long term. I guess I can just get my same photos out from last time - no wait, that time they were wearing red - this time yellow. Same, Same no different!!!!