Saturday, 25 January 2014

Bangkok Protests - Bangkok Shut Down

A trip back to the Silom/Rama IV junction today showed a different picture to earlier in the week.  Despite now being under a state of emergency, which doesn't allow for large gatherings (I think more than 5 constitutes large), people were clearly not about to move.  Men were busy erecting a huge metal support structure for an awning, that would pretty much span a huge part of the junction.
As usual at the roadblocks, a concert was taking place.  Several older ladies in the crowd were up dancing.
I noticed that the main stage had been moved forward from the statue to make way for lots of tents, which have been springing up around the park.  Last week this was empty ground.  I have also noticed more tents near us at Asoke.  They now line (though don't block) part of the road on the odd side of Sukhumvit, towards Emporium. 
The tents are really small, so it is hard to imagine spending a lot of time in them.  You can see washing hanging on lines in the background.
If you think being a demonstrator is all work and no play, you'd be wrong.  I was amazed to see not just electric fans whirring away, but that some of the tents had satellite television linked up.  I saw quite a few of these little dishes.  Now that really is so 'Hi-So', don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. After seeing your photos and keeping up with the news online, I feel pretty confident that I made a good decision in heading off to Hawaii instead of Bangkok. Only wise we could have meet up there. Thai politics just keeps getting more and more - strange? I really loved the satellite television link up. You have to keep up with your favorite Thai soap opera after all. jt

    ReplyDelete