Thursday, 25 October 2012

What's Happening in Utah:

 Roger was driving to our cabin by-way-of Kamas (where we stopped for
groceries on our way to Moab) and was stopped dead in his tracks.  Sharing
the road was a herd of 30-40 cattle making their way to their winter range.
He was stopped for about 15 minutes while the "cowboys" tried to hurry them along.  To one side of the road was a fence which helped keep them going straight, but on the other side was a grocery store and parking lot.  A few cows tried to make their escape via that route and it took a concerted effort to move that back to the road.

 And talking about roads.  Our son Jason decided that he was going to run the 50 mile Pony Express race this past weekend. The Pony Express route is west of Salt Lake and the run itself is pretty gruelling.  He and two friends started the race at 5:00 a.m. and Jason crossed the finish line 12 hours later.
Roger was his support crew and was happy to pull up a chair to wait every
1-3 miles to hand out the drinks and encouragement.  The last 10 miles were
tough and Roger walked the last mile and a half with him, but his goal was to finish under 12 hours and he did it.  Congratulations!!!

Saturday morning (Roger drove a sleeping Jason home Friday night) we drove out to Draper to cheer our girls on.  Allison ran in the 5K and Ana took part in the Princess "one mile" run.  She had been practicing with Allison over the last few months and did great in her first official race.
 Livi had made posters to encourage Ana along.  As she crossed the finish line, a "Princess" handed her a tiara as her "medal".
 I had made this snail's trail quilt years ago and told Evan that it was his.  As he was pretty unsettled for the next few years, he told me to keep it for him.  Well, the weather turned cool recently and he is now settled in his own home, so when he called to say he
wanted "his" quilt, I told him I had no idea where it was and certainly couldn't remember
giving it to him.  He didn't buy it for a minute
and soon it was whisked off to keep them warm on the cold Utah winter nights ahead.
 I love this time of year when the leaves are turning and the evenings are getting cooler.  The sunsets are still amazing and make our back garden light up. 
 Yesterday we had cold, wind, rain and a bit of snow on the mountains around the valley, including Antelope Island across the "lake".  It's too early to stay, but let's us know that winter is on it's way.

One last thing.  Halloween is almost here and people decorate in different ways.  I put a few things around the house to let the grandkids know that Grandma and Grandpa aren't totally old and out of it, but others, such as pictured here, go all out.  I wonder if they are really intended to scare the trick-or- treaters off?   To each his own.

1 comment:

  1. Did Roger stock the freezer after seeing all those steaks on legs walk past?

    Well done Jason (were you nuts?!), Alison (I was with you in spirit) and Ana (what a star!). Oh and Roger for doing the last bit with Jason.

    I LOVE that shot of the garden, aren't the trees looking beautiful? I note there isn't a picture of the right side of the garden. You know where I mean. Where there is that poor, sad, DEAD looking tree. I bet that isn't a gorgeous Titian red!

    I can't believe those Halloween motorbikes. That must have cost a fortune! Very funny though. I guess I should take my witch out and hang her up somewhere. Maybe I could hang her from Alan's sling when he isn't looking!

    ReplyDelete