It was like a lover's reunion. Janice stepped into the room and I flew into her arms. We shed a few tears as Alan discretely merged into the background. It was really lovely. Then we got back to the normal business of insults!!!
Janice & I flew up to Chiang Mai in a really excited mood. This was our fourth trip together, so we are now seasoned pros (er, should I say that, it sounds somewhat rude?) at travelling with each other. Our hotel was adequate and comfortable, though as Janice said, I wouldn't want to take a bath. At least she didn't have creeping mould up her shower curtain!
As we have both previously been to Chiang Mai, we were able to be very relaxed about just walking around. And good job too, for Janice had arrived from the US complete with very swollen feet, that never quite went down. Being the trooper that she is she swore they didn't hurt, but I could see the straps of her shoes pressing into her ultra white feet (sorry Janice, had to get a dig about their colour in!).
Chiang Mai is of course famous for all the wonderful temples, but having been there several times, it was a case of 'been there, seen that' and so we were happy to just look in a few. Imagine our surprise then at seeing this rather macabre display in one of the temples.
We couldn't understand what it was supposed to signify. Advertising he work of the local coffin maker perhaps or the merits of keeping your head warm in Chiang Mai's winter? I'm putting my money on advertising the skills of the local dentist!Maybe it really was about keeping your head warm. Look at this monk in a temple outside of Chiang Mai, he was clearly feeling the chill.
At the same temple we saw these interesting props, under the branches of a very large Bodhi tree (I think that is what they are called). Anyway, the temple is very important in the region and each year, lesser temples as well as individuals, pay respect by bringing along another prop to help the tree. A lot of them are quite ornately decorated near the top, and some had writing along their length.
The same temple also had this rather magnificent elephant that can be pulled along or driven. Isn't she a beauty?
Janice beating a gong in the temple, which is supposed to bring good luck. I guess travelling with me, she felt she needed all the luck she could get!
And I don't know exactly where they take you trekking, but I know I don't want to go there!
No comments:
Post a Comment