Sunday, 13 July 2014

Botero Horse at Embassy Chit Lom

The newest mall in Bangkok opened a little while ago, the first in what appears to be a line of new malls either mid-build or in planning.  Yes, just what Bangkok needs, another mall.

I'm afraid I have been seriously underwhelmed by this building.  Inside it looks dated and unfinished, but maybe that is the fashion now.  And talking of fashion, this is the ultimate hi-so shoppers paradise, wall to wall designer shops.  You won't be buying your Uniglo clothes in here!

So what do I like about it?  Well there's Dean & Deluca.  Strangely it is almost opposite another branch of Dean & Deluca (Park Ventures Ecoplex), rather like the pair at Chong Nonsi which are doors away from each other.  Maybe Dean gets the profits from one shop and Deluca the profits from the other.  There is also the second Harrods restaurant in Bangkok (the other being at Paragon) and the first branch of Paul (not yet open), a favourite French patisserie of mine.  Yes I have veered to the food, but then the Louise Vuitton handbags just don't do it for me.

Central Embassy connects to Central Chit Lom via an enclosed staircase and finally, the skywalk at Ploenchit now allows you to continue across the road and exit on the right hand side, just handy for Central Embassy.
By far the best bit about the new mall, has had me excited ever since I spotted it and gosh, how I wish I had been there to see it installed.   So far there is no plaque acknowledging the artist, but either that is a Botero horse, or it is the ultimate and most daring of fakes in the city of fakes.  I have been down to admire it and love to drive past and admire it in all its splendour.  I adore Botero and for this horse , I am prepared to adore the new mall.

1 comment:

  1. OK, now I understand where it is - what it is - as in who needs another high end mall downtown. Unbelievable!
    But I do like the horse. Janice

    ReplyDelete